[infinispan-dev] A question and an observation

Sanne Grinovero sanne at infinispan.org
Mon Jul 7 04:58:51 EDT 2014

On 7 July 2014 09:14, Bela Ban <bban at redhat.com> wrote:

> 1: Observation:
> -------------
> In my Infinispan perf test (IspnPerfTest), I used
> cache.getAdvancedCache().withFlags(...).put(key,value) in a tight loop.
>
> I've always thought that withFlags() was a fast operation, *but this is
> not the case* !!
>
> Once I changed this and predefined the 2 caches (sync and async) at the
> start, outside the loop, things got 10x faster ! So please change this
> if you made the same mistake !

Right that's the better way to use the flags; I'm pretty sure we
documented this at some point but I couldn't find it in the docs nor
javadocs now...?!! bad bad.

Where we do use flags internally (Lucene Directory), we hold on to
multiple instances of the Cache, even if the same cache content but to
use different flags. The code is quite horrible to read as it seems
like you interact with different Caches, but as you noticed it's worth
it.

10x faster? That's surprising for a benchmark which is supposed to be
network bound isn't it? If you can measure a 10X improvement, it seems
like your tests where bound by memory allocation (as that's the
resource you starve by using _withFlags_ extensively) ?
Might be worth checking with flight recorder if that's still the case,
as _withFlags_ isn't sufficient on its own to saturate your memory
bandwith, so I'd guess there are other hot consumers which might be
easy to take down.

> 2. Question:
> In Infinispan 6, I defined my custom transport as follows:
> <transport ... transportClass="org.perf.CustomTransport"/>
>
> This is gone in 7. Do I now have to use programmatic configuration ? If
> so, how would I do this ?

I don't know this one, hopefully others will.. ?

Cheers,
Sanne