[infinispan-dev] A question and an observation

Mircea Markus mmarkus at redhat.com
Mon Jul 7 07:36:30 EDT 2014

On Jul 7, 2014, at 10:37, Bela Ban <bban at redhat.com> wrote:

>> 10x faster? That's surprising for a benchmark which is supposed to be
>> network bound isn't it?
>
> I ran 2 IspnPerfTest processes on my local box with numOwners=2 (no L1
> cache). I guess that roughly half of the calls go to the local node, and
> there the cost of withFlags() is not amortized by the network round trip.

All the reads are local as both nodes own all the data in this setup. Writes will involve RPCs, though.
Even for local caches, the 10x performance degradation from using the flags is way too much, there must be something else at stake. If you profile it we can take a look.

Mircea Markus
Infinispan lead (www.infinispan.org)