[infinispan-dev] Policy: PR with failing test as a reproducer

Sanne Grinovero sanne at infinispan.org
Wed Jun 4 04:08:21 EDT 2014

On 4 June 2014 08:08, Tomas Sykora <tsykora at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
> I'd like to know what is our policy in a following matter:
>
> I've wrote a new test which is failing. (local branch)
>
> 1) Do we want to integrate also failing test into our test-suite? To see the test failing regularly until the issue is fixed? I suppose no.
> 2) The other and clearly better "solution" is to push failing test into my own remote branch, create JIRA, let others to try out the issue from my remote branch and wait for fix, then, integrate (already passing) test into upstream.
>
> Is here any possible place for 1) as well? Or we strictly follow 2)?

We strictly follow 2, as otherwise it gets very hard to tell if any
change is introducing regressions.
Any "fix" we make is surely well intentioned, but wathever you do, you
want to make sure the project is evolving in a better direction.

> The only reason which I can see for a policy 1) is that the test would by failing regularly and wouldn't be easily overlooked.

Issues are tracked on the issue tracker -> JIRA.
Traditionally faling tests have been attached as patch files on the
issue, pointing to a branch is much nicer of course..