[infinispan-dev] OSGi

Giovanni Meo gmeo at cisco.com
Thu Mar 27 06:32:37 EDT 2014

Hi Emmanuel and infinispan folks,

we have been using Infinispan in OSGi environment in a project called
OpenDayLight, if interested you can look at:

> https://git.opendaylight.org/gerrit/gitweb?p=controller.git;a=blob;f=opendaylight/clustering/services_implementation/pom.xml;h=d7a3db3841888f3c08e5cf8795aa42cf9cd9b4bc;hb=HEAD

Granted we are using a tiny part of the infinispan capabilities, but we found
very helpful to first of all define the contract the applications would have
with the infinispan. For other issues like the classloading, we just made sure
to provider a ClassResolver that always enforce the lookup in the OSGi class
loader, and in spite of some initial unreliability things has been doing ok for us.

My 2 cents,
Giovanni

On 27-Mar-14 10:28, Emmanuel Bernard wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> Sanne and Hardy are working on the OSGi-ification of Hibernate Search and it
> does not come without trouble.
>
> Who is leading this effort on the Infinispan side? I recommend you start
> early in a release cycle because you will have to butcher APIs and packages
> to do it properly. Worse, you will suffer from you dependencies.
>
> Brett has offered to help you but I know for sure he won’t lead it. He would
> be more like a good expect to talk to. Bilgin has shown a Camel integration
> prototype but he also seemed to imply that he had some significant problems
> that needed Infinispan improvements.
>
> Also, I’m not quite sure but looking at these Camel routes, they seem to be
> very URI driven. If we want to support query over a Camel route and express
> them via a URI, we will need a string based query language. I might be
> talking nonsense and somehow the query is written in Java. But better
> anticipate. Bilgin would know more, he has written in his demo
> CamelInfinispanOperationQuery after all :)

Giovanni Meo
Via del Serafico, 200                  Telephone: +390651644000
00142, Roma                            Mobile:    +393480700958
Italia                                 Fax:       +390651645917
                                       VOIP:      8-3964000
“The pessimist complains about the wind;
 the optimist expects it to change;
 the realist adjusts the sails.” -- Wm. Arthur Ward
IETF credo: "Rough consensus and running code"