[infinispan-dev] Clustered Listener

Pierre Sutra pierre.sutra at unine.ch
Tue May 13 09:10:01 EDT 2014

Hello,

As part of the LEADS project, we have been using recently the clustered
listeners API. In our use case, the application is employing a few
thousands listeners, constantly installing and un-installing them. The
overall picture is that things work smoothly up to a few hundreds
listeners, but above the cost is high due to the full replication
schema. To sidestep this issue, we have added a mechanism that allows
listening only to a single key. In such a case, the listener is solely
installed at the key owners. This greatly helps the scalability of the
mechanism at the cost of fault-tolerance since, in the current state of
the implementation, listeners are not forwarded to new data owners.
Since as a next step [1] it is planned to handle topology change, do you
plan also to support key (or key range) specific listener ? Besides,
regarding this last point and the current state of the implementation, I
would have like to know what is the purpose of the re-installation of
the cluster listener in case of a view change in the addedListener()
method of the CacheNotifierImpl class. Many thanks in advance.

Best,
Pierre Sutra

[1]
https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/wiki/Clustered-listeners#handling-topology-changes