[infinispan-dev] Total Order non-transactional cache

Pierre Sutra pierre.sutra at unine.ch
Mon Nov 17 07:22:39 EST 2014

Hello Pedro,

I read your design page with interest, and formulated a few
remarks/questions below. Despite I do not know in details the internals,
I Hope that they might be useful.

Cheers,
Pierre

- It is unclear to me how the protocol execute reads, in particular
regarding causality. If a reader waits for a single replica to answer,
in case every write requires all replicas to answer, this is fine.
However, it seems that a writer can return as soon as a single replica
returns an acknowledgement. In such a case, it might be the case that a
reader do not see its own modifications, if it retrieves data from a
replica that did not apply the modifications yet.

- Do you ensure impotency of commands inside ISPN ? In my understanding,
it is necessary when switching from a view v1 to a view v2, as commands
delivered at the end of v1 might be already executed.

- I would call your replication protocol "virtual synchrony based"
instead, as it is relying on the virtual synchrony abstraction provided
by JGroups.