[infinispan-dev] Fix or document? Concurrent replaceWithVersion w/ same value might all return true - ISPN-4972

Sanne Grinovero sanne at infinispan.org
Wed Nov 26 07:33:48 EST 2014

That's not Atomic. How can I implement a counter on this?

Say the current version is 5, I read it, and then issue a "replace 5
with 6" command.
If I send a couple of such commands in parallel I need a guarantee
that only one succeeds, so that the other one can retry and get the
counter up to 7.

Over Hot Rod I have no locking so I have no alternatives other than
atomic replacement commands, that's not unlikely to happen: that's a
critical showstopper for users.

Sanne