[infinispan-dev] Fix or document? Concurrent replaceWithVersion w/ same value might all return true - ISPN-4972

Dan Berindei dan.berindei at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 09:17:57 EST 2014

Sanne, it will work as long as the previous value is not the same as
the new value.

If multiple threads read value 5 with version 5, and all of them want
to replace it with value 6, only one of them will succeed.
But if multiple threads read value 5 with version 5, and want to
replace it with value *5*, all of them might succeed.

Indeed, it's not atomic, but a basic counter will work. And it's all
we can do with the actual core cache API (unless we want to go back to
including the HotRod version in the value).

Cheers
Dan