[infinispan-dev] Feedback and requests on clustered and remote listeners

Galder Zamarreño galder at redhat.com
Tue Sep 23 12:17:29 EDT 2014

On 18 Sep 2014, at 18:24, Emmanuel Bernard <emmanuel at hibernate.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have had a good exchange on how someone would use clustered / remote listeners to do custom continuous query features.
>
> I have a few questions and requests to make this fully and easily doable
>
> ## Value as bytes or as objects
>
> Assuming a Hot Rod based usage and protobuf as the serialization layer. What are KeyValueFilter and Converter seeing?
> I assume today the bytes are unmarshalled and the Java object is provided to these interfaces.
> In a protobuf based storage, does that mean that the user must create the Java objects out of a protobuf compiler and deploy these classes in the classpath of each server node?
> Alternatively, could we pass the raw protobuf data to the KeyValueFilter and Converter? They could read the relevant properties at no deserialization cost and with lss problems related to the classloader.

Following on my reply to this, you can kinda achieve this already today with a little hack. If you plug a converter, you’ll get the Java object as parameter and you can re-convert it to binary payload and send it to the client listener which does what it needs to do. Of course, less performant and still has potential classloader issues, but just mention it.

galder at redhat.com
twitter.com/galderz