[infinispan-dev] Hibernate ORM 5.0.0.CR4 not working so well with Infinispan 8.0.0.Beta2...

Sanne Grinovero sanne at infinispan.org
Thu Aug 6 04:30:41 EDT 2015

On 6 August 2015 at 03:01, William Burns <mudokonman at gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems ORM was compiled with a version earlier than Beta1 but then ran
> with Beta2?  The keySet method was changed to return a subclass of
> CloseableIteratorSet with Beta2 to support distributed streams [1].

Right, that's my same conclusion. Hibernate ORM is not updating to
Infinispan 8 as it needs to be released with Infinispan 7;
we previously adjusted the Hibernate code to verify that it would work
with Infinispan 8 too, but I did that by rebuilding ORM and
temporarily changing the property which defines the Infinispan
dependency version (no source code changes of course). I proposed a
Jenkins job but that didn't seem popular :-/

So it turns out it was source-code compatible but not at runtime, my
bad sorry I didn't think to verify that.
But now if we don't get it to work at runtime, that's a problem to get
Infinispan 8 in WildFly 10.

Scott, I think the most reliable way is to have you setup a WildFly
job which tests snapshots of Hibernate and Infinispan of the branches
you intend to merge next in WildFly. AFAIK it would also save you some
time, as you seem to constantly run such builds?

BTW that CacheSet API change looks like it was intended to be
backwards compatible? It's not, as we just realised. I you want it to
be backwards compatible you'll have to revert that API change.

BTW 2 .. when I verified those things it was passing the ORM
testsuite, but latest ORM with latest Infinispan now have a lot of
test failures. I had proposed to setup a Jenkins job to monitor the
combination, but need a volunteer to act on the reports. It turns out
it's not even given all the coverage we need but it would be a start.

Sanne