[infinispan-dev] Shared vs Non-Shared CacheStores

Galder Zamarreno galder at redhat.com
Mon Aug 24 03:38:48 EDT 2015

----- Original Message -----
> +1
>
> I like that plan, however I don't have any problem with marker
> interfaces either.
>
> I remember the annotations used internally by Infinispan were (a long
> time ago) the cause for a very slow start, which was then fixed by
> indexing the annotations at compile time; loading this index as a
> resource at runtime time has caused some unnecessary complexity in
> some modular environments. No biggie, just saying annotations have
> some tradeoffs too ;)

+1 to what Sanne says. Unless we're going to generate boiler-plate code at compile time from annotations (something WF has been doing), I would not like to extend our usage of annotations internally, since as Sanne says, it requires further annotation indexing and that's caused problems.

Also, from a user POV, annotations might look useful for Java users, but for other JVM langs not using annotations, e.g. Clojure, they can be problematic. Clojure guys have been asking us to have interface-based listeners which we currently don't support (except for functional and jcache APIs)

Cheers,