[infinispan-dev] Development process and handling of PRs

Tristan Tarrant ttarrant at redhat.com
Mon Jul 20 12:44:59 EDT 2015

Hi all,

there is something about our current development model which I feel is
holding us back a little. This is caused by a number of issues:

- Handling Pull Requests: we are really slow at doing this. When issuing
a PR, a developer expects at least one review to happen within the next
half-day at most. Instead, requests sit in the queue for days (weeks)
before they even get considered. I don't expect everybody to just drop
what they are doing and review immediately, but at least be a bit more
reactive.
- It seems like we're always aiming for the perfect PR. Obviously a PR
should have zero failures, but we should be a bit more iterative about
the way we make changes. This is probably also a consequence of the
above: why should I break up my PR into small chunks, if it takes so
long to review each one and the cumulative delay is detrimental to my
progress. I like what Pedro has done for his locking changes.
- We're afraid of changes, but that's what a development phase is for,
especially for a new major release. We should be a bit more aggressive
with trying things out. A PR can be merged even if there are some
concerns (obviously not from a fundamental design POV), and it can be
refined in later steps.

This is what I would like to see in Beta2:
- The functional API (I can take care of rebasing the PR)
- The management console
- The query grouping/aggregation stuff
- anything else we can merge soon

I would like to release Wednesday at the latest, so please do your best
to help in achieving this goal.

Tristan
--
Tristan Tarrant