[infinispan-dev] Cache Java 8 API proposal - 2nd draft

Dan Berindei dan.berindei at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 08:36:51 EDT 2015

Hey Galder

I have finally read the proto8 code, and it looks quite good.

I do have some concerns about how the lambdas will interact with
distribution, because not every node performs conditional updates the
same way (at least not without total order):

1. In non-transactional caches, we will retry an operation if the
cache topology changes, and the second time around we don't want to
fail the operation if the key already has the correct value on the
primary owner.
2. In transactional caches, the conditional commands are only checked
on the originator - all other owners apply the update unconditionally.
This makes the modifications idempotent, which then allows us to retry
the prepare as many times as necessary.

Are you thinking of handling these differences in the lambdas
themselves, or maybe you have something else in mind?

For optimistic caches we also have the write skew check, is that going
to be in the lambda? It's also be performed only on the primary owner
without TO, and on all the owners with TO...

I also have some questions about the MetaParams:

1. Do we really need MetaParam.Id? Couldn't we index the MetaParams by
their class?
2. Do we really want such fine granularity? We could at least pair
Created/Lifespan and LastUsed/MaxIdle...

Cheers
Dan