[infinispan-dev] Grouping lucene query on Infinispan

Raymond Rennell Douglass III rdouglas at umd.edu
Thu Mar 26 12:51:42 EDT 2015

Hello all,

This is my first time mailing this list, so please let me know if this is not the right place for this.

I use a replicated and/or distributed cache to store some Objects and it is indexed using Infinispan's indexing via Hibernate Search. I'm using Infinispan 7.1.x.

I wanted to use Lucene's GroupingSearch functionality, which I could not find anywhere in the Infinispan or Hibernate Search docs, so I used this: https://docs.jboss.org/infinispan/7.1/apidocs/org/infinispan/query/SearchManager.html#getSearchFactory%28%29
I wrote code like so:
SearchIntegrator searchIntegrator = Search.getSearchManager(cache).getSearchFactory();
IndexReader reader = searchIntegrator.getIndexReaderAccessor().open(ENTITY_CLASSES);
String groupedBy = ...;
GroupingSearch groupingSearch = new GroupingSearch(groupedBy);
TopGroups<BytesRef> result = groupingSearch.search(searcher, query, offset, limit);

I noticed in the javadocs for the getSearchFactory method that it's deprecated (maybe just in Infinispan 7.0?). So I wanted to ask:
1. Is there are better way to perform a grouping search?
2. Will this API be available in future Infinispan versions?

I personally think access to an IndexReader is very helpful for those strange edge cases to run custom Lucene queries.

Thanks,

--
Ray Douglass