[infinispan-dev] Infinispan 8 development begins

Tristan Tarrant ttarrant at redhat.com
Tue May 5 04:56:06 EDT 2015

Hi all,

now that Infinispan 7.2.0.Final is out I want to outline the plans for
the future.

Infinispan 8.x will bring many new features and internal refactoring and
improvements. We will be moving to Java 8 to take advantage of the new
language and JDK features such as lambdas, CompletableFuture, Optional,
etc. We will finally move our core to a reactive design so to reduce
resource usage and increase performance. We will be adding a monitoring
and management console built into our server. We will be enhancing
everything from querying, indexing, remote protocols, etc. We will be
integrating with Apache Spark and OpenShift. For more details check out
our roadmap @ http://infinispan.org/roadmap/

Since the scope of things we want to do during the 8.x cycle is quite
large, it is altogether possible that 8.0 will be initially tagged as
"experimental", giving us time to iron out any issues during the 8.1
release cycle. However, we will do our best to make 8.0 usable from the
get-go.
We will be maintaining the 7.2.x branch for quite a while.

Let's hack !

Tristan
--
Tristan Tarrant