[infinispan-dev] Event log

Sanne Grinovero sanne at infinispan.org
Fri Nov 13 09:27:54 EST 2015

On 13 November 2015 at 14:11, Tristan Tarrant <ttarrant at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 13/11/2015 14:53, Gustavo Fernandes wrote:
>> Not sure about local caches, what about log retention when the node dies?
>
> I wanted a solution which can suffer splits and not adversely affect the
> cluster otherwise. But I'm open for counterarguments.

The indexer can be a service which lives independently from
Infinispan; ELK would be one of the options, but there are others
already (JGroups, JMS).
But obviously you'd have a problem when the grid is fine, but there's
a split between the Infinispan grid and such service..
configuring an embedded local Lucene indexer would be better.

When using the JMS backend we have the option to store the logs
locally and replicate them to ELK when the connection to ELK is
restored; you'd need JMS for that one to work, but it should be easy
to implement a similar thing using a simplified disk journal. I guess
what I'm staying is that the Search back-end is pluggable, and having
one which tries remote first or logs to disk otherwise should be easy
(and a welcome reusable backend for other circumstances).

Sanne