[infinispan-dev] XSite Hot Rod client failover wiki

Galder Zamarreno galder at redhat.com
Wed Sep 9 10:00:11 EDT 2015

Infinispan, Red Hat

----- Original Message -----
> 1) Is it really desired to keep the site list in client configuration?

Not sure if it was totally clear but the entire site list would not be required. The client must contain at least 1 node's address in that site, so that it can then get the topology of the rest.

> It has always seemed to me great that I can provide only single hotrod
> server address to the client and it will figure out all the other nodes.
> I can imagine a configuration with one or few well-known nodes (possibly
> with capacity factor 0), and the heavy lifting to be done by an elastic
> cluster. Especially in AWS or GCE like environments it simplifies the
> configuration. The same could hold for the backup sites, though I
> understand that this has two downsides:
> a) If x-site interface is different from the interface accessible by
> clients, we need a mechanism to publish the external-host:external-port
> information

^ A server can define it's external host and port, but we call them proxyHost and proxyPort.

> b) if this information is per-client, it's easy to set up the order of
> backup sites (according to geographical location, to keep the cluster as
> close as possible). If that's server based, it may not be possible to
> declare that accurately.

^ Not sure I understand what you mean by that.

> 2) There should be a way to tell the clients that the original site is
> back online, without bringing down the backup site.

^ That's easy to do, simply put the backup site offline and the client should bounce back to original site.

> However, that puts
> us back to point 1b) - how should the client know that the another
> online site is actually closer, if it does not have it on the list.
> Maybe, having an optional list that would declare the priority, with
> site names, would be beneficial (client would have
> foo.bar.sites=BRQ,LON,SFO but wouldn't have to care about IP addresses).

^ I'm not sure about the real usability of that.