[infinispan-dev] Video for DevNation talk on auto-scaling Infinispan with Kubernetes

Sebastian Laskawiec slaskawi at redhat.com
Wed Aug 3 05:08:43 EDT 2016

Thanks Galder for this finding!

Just a small comment on things which are not obvious - Ray created his own
custom autoscaler implementation. Both OpenShift and Kubernetes have
support for so called Custom Metrics [1][2] which you can use for
autoscaling.

However, trying to scale based on the memory consumption is a tricky
business [3][4]. I've been talking with Andrew about this and he says that
settings `-Xms` to some low value and `-Xmx` reasonably high might do the
trick. When you add a node to the cluster (assuming only DIST caches) the
total amount of used memory in the Pods will (possibly) drop after some
time. This however might not work for CMS GC.

Anyway - those are the things which are on my plate for this and next week.
Once I have some results I would be glad to share them with you.

And as always - any help with this would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Sebastian

[1]
https://github.com/kubernetes/kubernetes/blob/master/docs/proposals/custom-metrics.md