[infinispan-dev] Configuration management and Docker/Kubernetes/OpenShift

Sebastian Laskawiec slaskawi at redhat.com
Thu Aug 11 04:59:46 EDT 2016

Hey!

I'm working on configuration management in cloud environment [1]. I put
some finding in the ticket [1] but let me tell you more about the options I
investigated:

   - Kubernetes/OpenShift ConfigMaps [2][3]
      - Those structures are specially designed to hold configuration data
      in any format (yaml, json, properties, xml, doesn't matter).
      - The configuration can be mounted into a pod as a directory
      (technically a volume). We can not mount it as a single file. Having said
      that we would need to either store cloud.xml file separately
      (standalone/cloud/configuration?) or ask users to build
configuration from
      whole standalone/configuration directory. Both options are valid in my
      opinion.
   - OpenShift S2I [4] builder
      - S2I builder takes a git repository and a Docker image and combines
      those two together.
      - We could store a cloud.xml file inside a git repository and modify
      our infinispan Docker image to support S2I scripts (if cloud.xml is
      detected in a git repository - replace the default configuration).
      - Unfortunately it's OpenShift specific thing.
   - Extend the Infinispan Docker image
      - We could ask users to extend our Docker image and put their
      specific configuration there
      - The biggest advantage - it will work regardless to the environment
      (pure Docker, Kubernetes, OpenShift, doesn't matter)

All options require restarting pods to update configuration (remember, pods
were designed to be immutable).

I think we should support 2 options - ConfigMaps for Kubernetes and
OpenShift and extending our Docker image for all other use cases (because
this option gives the most flexibility).

What do you think?

Thanks
Sebastian

[1] https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-6675