[infinispan-dev] Infinispan Managment Console versioning and releases

Sebastian Laskawiec slaskawi at redhat.com
Fri Dec 16 03:22:36 EST 2016

Hey guys,

A while ago was been talking with Ryan and Tristan about automated releases
for Infinispan Management Console. I would like to send the main point for
wider audience.

Long story short, we were considering different versioning schemes, such as
X.Y.Z.SHA1 or using Z as an auto-increment counter for console releases.
The main problem we were trying to solve was how to release the management
console more often.

I would like to propose different approach - Let's stick with a standard
versioning (X.Y.Z.[Alpha|Beta|Fina] for releases and X.Y.Z-SNAPSHOT for
ongoing work). Then we need to embed SHA1 into the MANIFEST.MF to increase
tracability (in other words, here I have an Infinispan build and I need to
know which SHA1 was used to build the console). SNAPSHOTs will be pushed
into JBoss Repository [1] after each commit. Infinispan master branch will
have a SNAPSHOT dependency to the console. The tricky part are releases.
Well, at first we need to release the console (I hope we will automate that
in Team City). Then we can use the version plugin [2] to update the
Infinispan source code to the latest version of the console. Finally, we
can release the Infinispan. As a long-term goal, everything will happen
inside a single staging repository in Nexus (but that's a long-term goal...
first let get this running).

If you agree to my proposal, please change the version in the console into
9.0.0-SNAPSHOT and retrigger [3] (automated builds are disabled at the
moment). Next, I would kindly ask to look into the build logs [4][5] and
give me a hint how to fix it. The NPM plugin is failing with some weird
error. Once we are done with that, I will configure a Pull Request builder
and release job.

Thanks
Sebastian

[1] https://repository.jboss.org/nexus/content/repositories/snapshots/