[infinispan-dev] Infinispan and change data capture

Galder Zamarreño galder at redhat.com
Fri Jul 29 09:47:37 EDT 2016

Infinispan, Red Hat

> On 11 Jul 2016, at 16:41, Randall Hauch <rhauch at redhat.com> wrote:
>

>> On Jul 11, 2016, at 3:42 AM, Adrian Nistor <anistor at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Randall,
>>
>> Infinispan supports both push and pull access models. The push model is supported by events (and listeners), which are cluster wide and are available in both library and remote mode (hotrod). The notification system is pretty advanced as there is a filtering mechanism available that can use a hand coded filter / converter or one specified in jpql (experimental atm). Getting a snapshot of the initial data is also possible. But infinispan does not produce a transaction log to be used for determining all changes that happened since a previous connection time, so you'll always have to get a new full snapshot when re-connecting.
>>
>> So if Infinispan is the data store I would base the Debezium connector implementation on Infinispan's event notification system. Not sure about the other use case though.
>>

> Thanks, Adrian, for the feedback. A couple of questions.
>
> You mentioned Infinispan has a pull model — is this just using the normal API to read the entries?
>
> With event listeners, a single connection will receive all of the events that occur in the cluster, correct? Is it possible (e.g., a very unfortunately timed crash) for a change to be made to the cache without an event being produced and sent to listeners?

^ Yeah, that can happen due to async nature of remote events. However, there's the possibility for clients, upon receiving a new topology, to receive the current state of the server as events, see [1] and [2]

[1] http://infinispan.org/docs/dev/user_guide/user_guide.html#client_event_listener_state_consumption
[2] http://infinispan.org/docs/dev/user_guide/user_guide.html#client_event_listener_failure_handling

> What happens if the network fails or partitions? How does cross site replication address this?

In terms of cross-site, depends what the client is connected to. Clients can now failover between sites, so they should be able to deal with events too in the same as explained above.

> Has there been any thought about adding to Infinispan a write ahead log or transaction log to each node or, better yet, for the whole cluster?

Not that I'm aware of but we've recently added security audit log, so a transaction log might make sense too.

Cheers,