[infinispan-dev] Lambda Serialization

William Burns mudokonman at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 08:52:56 EST 2016

On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 10:40 AM William Burns <mudokonman at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 10:26 AM Sanne Grinovero <sanne at infinispan.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On 3 March 2016 at 15:19, William Burns <mudokonman at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I now have a working branch that is using this for the new CacheStream
>> > interface [1].
>> >
>> > With this it allows users to use a stream without needing any casts for
>> any
>> > of the intermediate or terminal operations.  Note I completely revamped
>> the
>> > BaseStreamTest [2]  So in that case every example a user can find
>> online can
>> > be pretty much copy pasted without additional changes, which to me is
>> HUGE.
>>
>> I agree, it's HUGE! Great work!
>>

> Oh I forgot to mention the 1 caveat with this approach.  If the user
> defines their Cache or the various collections returned from it as the base
> type (ie. Map, ConcurrentMap, Set, Collection) this automatic serialization
> is lost and would require manual casting again.  Normal method chaining
> keeps this benefit though.  This seems like an acceptable and unavoidable
> issue to me.

Sorry also these changes still require the use of the CacheCollectors when
using [1] like we have had in the past it. It just removes the need for all
of the various casting (ie. (Serializable & Function<? super R>) for the
other methods.

[1]
https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/java/util/stream/Stream.html#collect-java.util.stream.Collector-