[infinispan-dev] Practical example of difficulties with dependencies

Sebastian Laskawiec slaskawi at redhat.com
Thu Mar 17 07:48:04 EDT 2016

Hey!

If Hibernate had an Uber jar - one could add it to the classpath and fix
the problem :) Of course I'm not serious here...

So what are you proposing? One of the proposed solutions (in "Uber jars -
how do we want to use them" email thread) was to limit number of
dependencies and throw errors in the runtime if something is missing. I'm
slightly positive to the first part but really negative to the second (it
only delays the problem until you run the application).

Another idea (a bit similar) is to squash most of the ISPN modules into
infinispan-core and move all "extras" (like Spring support) in separate
repository (infinispan-extras organization?). Such projects would have a
dependency to core. But with this approach we get all the bad things from
coarse grained layout.

The question I'm asking here is - if not Uber Jars, than what? Ideas are
more than welcome!

Thanks
Sebastian