[infinispan-dev] Distributed Counter Discussion

Bela Ban bban at redhat.com
Fri Mar 18 09:31:11 EDT 2016

So actually you don't care if you have multiple counters in case of a
network split, but you do care that the numbers of different counters
get reconciled when a network partition heals.

Example
- C1: 1000
- Network split: C1: 1000, C2: 1000
- Different clients update counters on both sides of the partition: C1:
1500 C2: 1600
- Network split disappears, reconciling C1 to 2100: 1000 +500 +600. This
means the 500 added to C1 should have been added to C2 as well, and the
600 to C2 should have been added to C1

If such a behavior would be acceptable, then we could do without CP and
live with AP

Bela Ban, JGroups lead (http://www.jgroups.org)