[infinispan-dev] XA transactions on a single CacheManager?

Sanne Grinovero sanne at infinispan.org
Mon Mar 21 07:19:38 EDT 2016

On 21 March 2016 at 10:07, Pedro Ruivo <pedro at infinispan.org> wrote:
> Hi Sanne
>
> On 03/15/2016 07:22 PM, Sanne Grinovero wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I just noticed that when I'm making changes to multiple caches within
>> the same transaction, the transaction manager will treat this as XA
>> transactions.
>>
>> That seems suboptimal as they are all managed by the same resource; is
>> there a configuration I'm missing or should I open a JIRA to ask for
>> an improvement?
>
> what are you suggesting? Having a single XA resource per cache manager
> instead of one per cache?

Yes, I actually expected that to be the case already.
Would that be complex? I am not familiar at all with this code, I was
just surprised as I don't see why it is the way it is: I don't need XA
transactions when writing to multiple tables on a same RDBMs ;)

My guess is that we originally thought of Caches a being used mostly
independently, but I think experience is telling us differently.

>> I'm not just asking for performance reasons: having to setup a
>> transaction manager is an annoying configuration step for Java SE
>> users.
>
> I got a little confused by this. You can use the same transaction
> manager in all the caches, so you have to configured it once.
> If you don't have one, you could use the DummyTransactionManager (we
> need to rename it!) in the core that contains the basic to handle
> transactions.

To support XA transactions the transaction manager requires both a
different configuration
and different dependencies.

I noticed while working on a "Getting started with Hibernate OGM"
which needs to be simple of course,
and this example happens to use Infinispan.
Since we need writes on multiple caches, this makes the setup phase of
the tutorial much harder, to the point that I'm considering to simply
switch to something like MongoDB so that I can keep the OGM tutorial
focused.