[infinispan-dev] Distributed Executor remote cancellation

William Burns mudokonman at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 12:04:53 EDT 2016

Recently we have been moving a lot of our methods that return Future [1] to
CompletableFuture [2].  Unfortunately the latter, CompletableFuture,
doesn't allow for cancellation of the future, since there is no thread tied
to it.  So I am proposing that our DistributedExecutorService [3] no longer
allows for interruption of remote threads on a cancellation.  This way we
can have our distributed executor service return CompletableFuture
instances which do not support interruption.

Also to note that DistributedExecutorService extends ExecutorService which
returns a normal Future which is documented as allowing cancellation.  In
this case I would just document on DistributedExecutorService that we don't
support interruption anyways.

Does anyone require the use of interruptable tasks with Distributed
Executor?

Thanks,

 - Will

[1]