[infinispan-dev] Infispector

Galder Zamarreño galder at redhat.com
Mon May 9 11:06:06 EDT 2016

Hi all,

I've just noticed [1], @Thomas, it appears this is your baby? Could you explain in more detail what you are trying to achieve with this? Do you have a video to show what exactly it does?

Also, who's [2]? Curious to know who's working on this stuff :)

The reason I'm interested in finding out a bit more about [1] is because we have several efforts in the distributed monitoring/tracing area and want to make sure we're not duplicating same effort.

1. Radim's Message Flow Tracer [3]: This is a project to tool for tracing messages and control flow in JGroups/Infinispan using Byteman.

2. Zipkin effort [4]: The idea behind is to have a way to have Infinispan cluster-wide tracing that uses Zipkin to capture and visualize where time is spent within Infinispan. This includes both JGroups and other components that could be time consuming, e.g. persistence. This will be main task for Infinispan 9. This effort will use a lot of interception points Radim has developed in [3] to tie together messages related to a request/tx around the cluster.

Does your effort fall within any of these spaces?

Cheers,

[1] https://github.com/infinispan/infispector
[2] https://github.com/mciz
[3] https://github.com/rvansa/message-flow-tracer