[infinispan-dev] Infinispan documentation

Sanne Grinovero sanne at infinispan.org
Mon May 16 10:59:08 EDT 2016

On 16 May 2016 at 15:22, Radim Vansa <rvansa at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 05/16/2016 03:21 PM, Tristan Tarrant wrote:
>> On 16/05/2016 14:31, Sebastian Laskawiec wrote:
>>> While having a single page might be useful in some situation (offline?)
>>>
>>>      it is cumbersome to navigate and hurts our SEO. Try searching for
>>>      "infinispan transactions" and Google still shows the old wiki page.
>>>

>>> Can we have both, just like Weld [3][4][5]? Multiple page guide could
>>> be more friendly to Google and singe page could be useful for ctrl+f
>>> lovers.
>> Sure, that is my intention.
>>>      - Collapsible Table of Contents
>>>
>>> +1. But maybe we could rearrange/remove some of them?
>> Reorganizing the actual content of the documentation is very much
>> needed, but is not part of the scope of this e-mail.
>>
>>>      - Versioning
>>>
>>>      Currently the documentation for each version is available under
>>>      docs/major.minor/. I would like to have semantic names for our
>>>      main docs
>>>      instead (i.e. "stable" and "dev"). Unfortunately this means that
>>>      searching
>>>

>>> I agree, but having version is also very useful.
>>>
>>> Just a couple of days ago I was searching through Weld 2.2.SP1
>>> documentation looking for some configuration parameters which were
>>> removed in the latest version. I assume many of our users do the same
>>> with Infinispan.
>> It was never my intention to suggest removal of the old docs, just that
>> docs/stable and docs/dev would always point to the latest stable and
>> unstable docs. Unfortunately, because GitHub pages doesn't support URL
>> rewriting, we need to decide whether we want to also have the actual
>> "hard version" copies of the docs (i.e. stable AND 8.2.x) at the same time.
>
> What about docs/stable being just

> (maybe with a link in the body).
> I am not sure how well this will work with SEO. Sanne would probably
> know, as Hibernate recently dealed with the same issue.

We're aware of having such SEO issues but didn't solve them yet :-/

You don't want to redirect though. You also don't want to have copies
of the documentation in multiple places, at least not without clearly
marking which one is the canonical (the only authoritative) source.
This can be done either by adding more meta fields in the HTML header,
or by inserting them in the HTTP headers.
The HTTP headers approach seems to score best, but Hibernate can't use
that as documentation is hosted on a server out of our control - so is
Github pages for Infinispan.

I'd recommend to host your own httpd server, or deploy on cloudfront:
this would also give you better performance (especially by having more
control on caching options and proxy pragma settings), and better
performance makes both users and SEO happy.

Sanne