[infinispan-dev] Data Container configuration changes

William Burns mudokonman at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 09:20:36 EDT 2016

On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 4:56 AM Pedro Ruivo <pedro at infinispan.org> wrote:

> On 26-10-2016 23:06, William Burns wrote:
> > I have been working on adding in off heap support for a given cache.  I
> > wanted to check in and let you all know what I was thinking for the
> > configuration and changes that would come about with it.
> >
> > TLDR;
> > New config under data container to enable off heap, StoreAsBinary
> > removed, Equivalence removed
> >
> > First I was planning on adding new sub elements of data container.
> > These would be instance, binary and off-heap.  Only of the three could
> > be picked as they are mutually exclusive.  Instance is as we operate now
> > where we store the instance of the object passed to us.  Binary is
> > essentially what we have now that is called storeAsBinary with both keys
> > and values converted.  Lastly off-heap would store the entry as a byte[]
> > store completely in native memory.
>
> I prefer 'object' instead of 'instance'.

Sounds fine with me.

> Are you also planning to remove the expiration and/or eviction
> configuration elements and set them in the data-container sub elements?

I wasn't planning on touching those.  But now that you mention it, eviction
only makes sense in the data container, where as expiration is container
and cache store.  And taking this further storeAsBinary is both as well,
only off-heap is container only.  I wonder if instead we should have a
separate storage element at the same level as data-container.  I can see it
either way.