[infinispan-dev] Cache creation over Hot Rod / REST

Tristan Tarrant ttarrant at redhat.com
Tue Sep 13 08:15:32 EDT 2016

On 13/09/16 13:22, Gustavo Fernandes wrote:
> I'm wondering that when the admin client is ready [1], it'd overlap in
> terms of feature with this new HR operation.
The main problem here is security: the admin endpoint will most likely
have completely different security requirements (certificate,
credentials, authorization) than the cache endpoint (be it Hot Rod, REST
or whatever) and probably exposed on a separate network interface. And
in the case of a domain controller scenario, on an entirely different
host, which might not even be visible to clients.
> Not a big deal, I had the impression that [1] would be the single
> place to create remote caches.
>
> Since we are here, [1] implies a java client, making it very
> cumbersome for example for a Node.js user to create caches, so maybe
> we should have a Rest endpoint to do admin operations similar to [2],
> easily consumable by all clients and allowing for
> advanced operations.
While I agree that this does add some burden on the clients, the
operation is simple enough. Much simpler than implementing the RACL
would be.

Also, the "REST" endpoint already exists: the management endpoint on
http[s]://xxx:9990 allows you to send DMR requests. That's what the
console uses.

Tristan

> Thoughts?
>

> [1]
> https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/wiki/Remote-Admin-Client-Library
> <https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/wiki/Remote-Admin-Client-Library>
> [2]
> https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/WFLY10/The+HTTP+management+API
> <https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/WFLY10/The+HTTP+management+API>
>
> Cheers,
> Gustavo
>
> On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 11:49 AM, Tristan Tarrant <ttarrant at redhat.com
> <mailto:ttarrant at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi guys,
>
>     I have put together a wiki page describing how cache creation over
>     remote protocols should be implemented.
>
>     https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/wiki/Create-Cache-over-HotRod
>     <https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/wiki/Create-Cache-over-HotRod>
>
>     Comments are welcome