[infinispan-dev] Native Infinispan Multimap support

William Burns mudokonman at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 12:40:13 EDT 2017

On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 11:45 AM Katia Aresti <karesti at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> As you probably know, Will and I are working on the vert-x infinispan
> integration [1], where the primary goal is to make infinispan the default
> cluster management of vert-x. (yeah!)
> Vert-x needs support for an Async Multimap. Today's implementation is a
> wrapper on a normal Cache where only Cache Key's are used to implement the
> multi map [2].
> This is not very efficient, so after trying some other alternative
> implementations [3] that don't fully work (injection not working), Will and
> I have come to the conclusion that it might be a good idea to start having
> our own native CacheMultimap. This first multimap won't support duplicate
> values on key's.
>
> As a quick start, the smallest multimap we need should implement the
> following interface :

I agree that having a very slim API to start should be better since we know
how much trouble we get into implementing a very large API like
ConcurrentMap :)

> public interface CacheMultimap<K, V> {
>    V put(K key, V value);
>
> This should probably return a boolean or Void. I am leaning towards the
first, but I am open either way.

>    Collection<V> get(K key);
>
>    boolean remove(K key, V value);
>
> We probably want a `boolean remove(K key)` method as well that removes all
values mapped to the given key.

> }
>
> CacheMultimapImpl will be a wrapper on a normal Cache, similar to [3].
>
> We could add a new method in EmbeddedCacheManager.java
>
> <K, V> CacheMultimap<K, V> getCacheMultimap(String cacheName, boolean
> createIfAbsent);

I was thinking maybe this would exist in a separate module (outside of
core)? or class that wraps (similar to DistributedExecutor) instead. My
worry is about transactions, since the entry point to that is through Cache
interface. The other option is we could add a `getCache` method on the
`CacheMultiMap`.