[infinispan-dev] REST server, dealing with Serializable

Sebastian Laskawiec slaskawi at redhat.com
Mon Apr 24 04:27:13 EDT 2017

Hey Guys!

I'm currently reworking REST interface and I'm scratching my head looking
how we deal with Serializable [1][2].

The scenario assumes that server knows that cache stores a Serializable
instance and moreover, it knows how to deserialize it (and convert it to
XML/JSON, but that's the trivial part). I might be wrong, but I think both
assumptions are questionable if not wrong. At first, how to distinguish a
serialized instance of a class the server received [3] from a standard byte
array? I can imagine someone using "Content-type:
application/x-java-serialized-object" but it's very error prone. It also
leads to the question number two - how the server will know that type of
instance it is? This knowledge is essential for deserialization.

I think the serialization/deserialization should be really done on the
client side (but as I mentioned before, maybe I don't see some important
use cases). I would like to remove it from refactored REST server.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Sebastian

[1]
https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/blob/master/server/rest/src/main/java/org/infinispan/rest/Server.java#L267-L313
[2]
https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/blob/master/server/rest/src/test/java/org/infinispan/rest/IntegrationTest.java#L636-L639
[3] Note that the input param here is byte[]
https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/blob/master/server/rest/src/main/java/org/infinispan/rest/Server.java#L458
--

SEBASTIAN ŁASKAWIEC

INFINISPAN DEVELOPER