[infinispan-dev] GetKeyValueCommand NPE with CR1 in Hibernate 2LC - ISPN-7029

Galder Zamarreño galder at redhat.com
Wed Feb 15 12:07:40 EST 2017

Infinispan, Red Hat

> On 15 Feb 2017, at 12:21, Radim Vansa <rvansa at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> On 02/15/2017 11:28 AM, Galder Zamarreño wrote:
>> Hey Radim,
>>
>> Your changes in ISPN-7029 are causing issues with Hibernate 2LC.
>>
>> In particular [2]. Name.equals() always returns false, so it'll never be found in the context. So entry is null.
>
> That's obviously a bug in the 2LC testsuite, isn't it?

LOL, is it? You added the class and the javadoc clearly states that this entity defines equals incorrectly. You must have added it for a reason?

https://github.com/hibernate/hibernate-orm/blob/master/hibernate-infinispan/src/test/java/org/hibernate/test/cache/infinispan/functional/entities/Name.java

In any case, an object with an incorrect equals impl should not result in an NPE within Infinispan :|

> Object used as @EmbeddedId needs to have the equals correctly defined. How else would you compare ids? I wonder how could that work in the past.

ROFL... it's your baby so you tell me ;)

>> Moreover, if EntryLookup.lookupEntry javadoc (and some implementations) can and do return null. Are you expecting that somehow that method will never return null?
>
> With ISPN-7029 in, the entry should be wrapped in the context after EntryWrappingInterceptor if the key is in readCH, otherwise it should be null. In case that xDistributionInterceptor finds out that it needs to work on that value despite not being able to read it (e.g. in case that it's in writeCH during unfinished rebalance), it should wrap NullCacheEntry.getInstance() using EntryFactory. wrapExternalEntry. More info about the logic is in o.i.c.EntryFactory javadoc [3].

Not sure I understand what you're trying to imply above... so, is lookupEntry() allowed to return null or not?

To be more specific, SingleKeyNonTxInvocationContext.lookupEntry() can return null, so GetKeyValueCommand should be able to handle it? Or should SingleKeyNonTxInvocationContext.lookupEntry return NullCacheEntry.getInstance instead of null?

To provide more specifics, SingleKeyNonTxInvocationContext has NullCacheEntry.getInstance in cacheEntry variable when it's returning null. Should it maybe return NullCacheEntry.getInstance instead of null from lookupEntry() ?

Cheers,