[infinispan-dev] Backwards compatibility issues with Infinispan 9.x and Hibernate 2LC

Galder Zamarreño galder at redhat.com
Thu Feb 16 05:58:05 EST 2017

Hi all,

As I've mentioned, I'm working on trying to integrate Hibernate 2LC (5.x branch at the moment) with Infinispan 9.

To start with, I tried to see if I could just run Hibernate 2LC 5.x, compiled with Infinispan 8, with an Infinispan 9 runtime. The first problem here was to do with changes to PrioritizedMethodMetadata [1].

However, that above is the least of our problems... once I tried to compile with Infinispan 9, there are a lot of compilation errors.

Here's a list of what I've found out so far, based on the work in [2] which includes compilation errors and runtime issues I've discovered:

1. Plenty of interceptors have been moved from org.infinispan.interceptors.base and org.infinispan.interceptors packages to org.infinispan.interceptors.impl package.

2. ModuleCommandFactory.fromStream now passes a cache name in ByteString instead of String.

3. DataWriteCommand.setMetadata() method is gone. The reason for this is that FlagAffectedCommand does no longer extend MetadataAwareCommand.

4. Interceptors cannot invoke invokeNextInterceptor() any more in parent, the method has been renamed to invokeNext() (in different class, AsyncInterceptor)

5. A lot of interceptors now take flags as long instead of Set<Flag> which results in compilation error.

6. BaseRpcInterceptor subclasses are now force abstract protected method getLog() to be implemented, again a compilation error.

7. CallInterceptor no longer contains visit... methods, so all interceptors extending it need to extend CommandInterceptor and be placed just before CallInterceptor.

7.1. As a result of that, interceptor positioning calls need to be changed.

8. AdvancedCache.filterEntries() is gone, so need to find an alternative way to do the same.

9. WriteCommand.getAffectedKeys() returns Collection instead of Set now.

10. org.infinispan.filter.NullValueConverter is gone. I removed that as part of marshalling changes since it was not used anywhere within Infinispan repo, but Hibernate 2LC actually uses it.

11. BeginInvalidationCommand and EndInvalidationCommand write directly the lockOwner via `output.writeObject(lockOwner)`, but this causes problem when the lockOwner is a CommandInvocationId since there's no externalizer for it any more. The reason for not having an externalizer is that CommandInvocationId is written via static CommandInvocationId.writeTo() calls.

12. org.infinispan.commands.module.ExtendedModuleCommandFactory is gone.

13. ReplicableCommand.setParameters() method is gone.

14. BaseRpcCommand constructor takes a ByteString instead of String.

15. ReplicableCommand implementations need to implement writeTo() and readFrom() methods.

16. (test) BlockingInterceptor no longer can be added via AdvancedCache.addInterceptor() call because it does not extend CommandInterceptor any more.

17. (test) org.infinispan.util.concurrent.ConcurrentHashSet has been moved.

18. (test) TestingEntityCacheKey must be made extend ExternalPojo so that it can be externally marshalled.

19. (test) 2lc-test-tcp.xml contains attributes that are no longer found by JGroups 4.x and throws errors.

The question here is whether we should work towards making Infinispan 9 backwards compatible with Infinispan 8 as far as Hibernate 2LC integration is concerned.

In theory, Infinispan 9 should be integrated with Hibernate 6.x onwards, but as always, Wildfly might have different opinions... @Paul?

If we need to do something, the time to do it is now, before 9.Final.

Cheers,

p.s. A lot of tests still failing, so the work in [2] is nowhere near finished.

[1] https://gist.github.com/galderz/e26ea9d4838a965500906a6df87e064a
[2] https://github.com/galderz/hibernate-orm/commit/5e36a021db4eaad75d835d321282eee6c62cc7c6
Infinispan, Red Hat