[infinispan-dev] Major version cleaning

Sanne Grinovero sanne at infinispan.org
Mon Feb 20 13:02:14 EST 2017

-1 to batch removal

Frankly I've always been extremely negative about the fact that
batches are built on top of transactions. It's easy to find several
iterations of rants of mine on this mailing list, especially fierce
debates with Mircea. So I'd welcome a separation of these features.

Yet, removing batching seems very wrong. I disagree that people should
use Transactions instead; for many use cases it's overkill, and for
others - and this is the main pain point I always had with the current
design - it might make sense to have a batch (or more than one) within
a transaction.
I have had practical problems with needing to "flush" a single batch
within a transaction as the size of the combined elements was getting
too large. That doesn't imply at all that I'm ready to commit.

@Pedro: the fact that some code is broken today is not relevant, when
there's need for such features. Like you suggest, it had bad premises
(build it on TX) so we should address that, but not throw it all out.

@Bela is making spot-on objections based on use cases, which need to
be addressed in some way. The "atomical" operations still don't work
right[1] in Infinispan and that's a big usability problem.

+1 to remove async TX

I actually like the concept but the API should be different.. might as
well remove this for now.

+1 to remove the Tree module

I personally never used it as you all advised against, yet it's been
often requested by users; sometimes explicitly and others not so
explicit, yet people often have need which would be solved by a good
Tree module.
I understand the reasons you all want to remove it: it's buggy. But I
believe the real reason is that it should have been built on top of a
proper batch API, and using real MVCC. In that case it wouldn't have
been buggy, nor too hard to maintain, and might have attracted way
more interest as well.
I'd remove it as a temporary measure: delete the bad stuff, but
hopefully it could be reintroduced built on better principles in some
future?

Thanks,
Sanne

[1] - "right" as in user expectations and actual practical use, which
is currently different than in the twisted definition of "right" that
the team has been using as an excuse ;-) I'll also proof that it
doesn't work right according to your own twisted specs, when I find
the time to finish some tests..