[infinispan-dev] Major version cleaning

Dan Berindei dan.berindei at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 05:08:22 EST 2017

On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 10:53 AM, Radim Vansa <rvansa at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 02/22/2017 09:11 AM, Dan Berindei wrote:

>>> Uh, doesn't putAll do the same? Is the modifications list isolate per
>>> target segments when replicating?
>>>
>> I missed the evalMany(Map, BiFunction) overload yesterday, and I
>> assume WriteOnlyMap.evalMany(Map,
>> MarshallableFunctions.setValueConsumer()) would behave exactly the
>> same as putAll(Map). Of course, it's not better either, as you still
>> have to create the map beforehand...
>>
>> OTOH I'm pretty sure you're the one who wrote the code to split the
>> input keys/values by target segments both for putAll() and for
>> evalMany() in NonTxDistributionInterceptor :)
>
> I was referring to "I see now that it replicates the function argument
> (which holds all the values) everywhere. So putAll() is still more
> efficient." And besides sending the setValue operation along, I don't
> see what you mean.
>
> * In non-tx mode, evalMany() wraps the entries using
> ReadOnlySegmentAwareMap which filters segments for given node during
> marshalling. putAll does exactly the same.
> * In tx mode, both commands are added to modifications list and this is
> sent (in PrepareCommand) to all participating nodes, including entries
> that are not owned by a given node. (that's a space for optimizations).
>
> Anyway, while evalMany would be sufficient for non-transactional mode
> (and batching API would be only a convenience), it is not enough in tx
> mode as it does not wipe out non-local modifications/reads on originator
> during the flush.

I should have clarified that I was only talking about non-tx. With
transactions, the owners can change between the write and the prepare
(and the prepare can also be retried because of a topology change), so
it should be the PrepareCommand's job to filter updates by
destination.

> When implementing tx functional commands, I was considering keeping
> modifications on remote node during the transaction (before the prepare
> phase) for repeatable functional reads, but in the end I went with
> sending all modifications for a given entry along with the read.

Hmmm, neither seems like a very good fit...

I was wondering about making the CompletableFutures returned by
eval/evalMany during a transaction only complete after the transaction
is done, and have methods thenEval()/thenEvalMany() to add another
read/write to the transaction. The weird part would be that some other
code might extend the scope of our transaction by starting an outer
transaction, then committing the inner transaction wouldn't run the
batched operations and wouldn't complete anything. The transaction
manager wouldn't even notify the cache when the inner transaction is
committed, so perhaps this could only work with our own "functional
batching" API.

Cheers
Dan