[infinispan-dev] Default TCP configuration is broken.

Pedro Ruivo pedro at infinispan.org
Wed Feb 22 09:59:21 EST 2017

Hi team,

The 'default-jgroups-tcp.xml" has MFC protocol without the FRAG2/3
protocol. This is broken when we send a multicast message larger than
'max-credits'. It will block forever in MFC [1]. No timeouts since we
don't have the CompletableFuture at this point.

Possible solutions are:

#1 put back FRAG2/3

advantage: we have multicast flow control.
disadvantage: all messages are fragmented (unicast and multicast), that
probably requires more resources (more messages in NAKACK and UNICAST
tables?)

#2 remove MFC

advantage: probably low resources usages. TCP will handle any fragmentation.
disadvantage: we don't have multicast flow control.

#3 alternative?

Cheers,
Pedro

[1] actually, I need a thread dump to confirm it.