[infinispan-dev] State transfer-related terms

Radim Vansa rvansa at redhat.com
Thu Jan 19 11:11:46 EST 2017

Hi,

I've started (again) working on ISPN-5021 [1], and I'd like to get some
common agreement on few terms. So below I summarize my understanding (or
misunderstanding) of these, please state you opinion, thinking a bit
more generally.

State transfer: whole process beginning with some ST-related event =
node being detected to crash/sending join or leave request, and ending
when this event is processed. When another event happens, the current ST
can either be finished or canceled and then *another* ST can begin.
State transfer is a cluster-wide process, though it cannot be started
and ended absolutely simultaneously.

Rebalance: one phase of ST, when the data transfer occurs.

Data rehash: this is a bit painful point: we have DataRehashEvent where
the name suggest that it is related rather to rebalance, but currently
it fires when CacheTopology.getPendingCH() == null (that means when ST
is complete), and the event itself also looks more like it should be
fired at the end of state transfer. If we have something more to do
after the rebalance, I am not sure how useful is firing that just
because all data has been transferred (but for example before old data
has been wiped out). Should I add another StateTransferEvent event (and
appropriate listeners)? That would break the compatibility with tightly
related implementations...

WDYT?

Radim

[1] https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-5021