[infinispan-dev] Data Container Changes Part 1

William Burns mudokonman at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 09:44:24 EST 2017

On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 3:23 AM Dan Berindei <dan.berindei at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have some small comments on the blog post. I didn't read almost any
> of the code, so I guess I match the experience of a typical reader :)
>
> 1. Can you really use eviction="COUNT", like for the other memory types?
> 2. The address-count name is a bit odd, as it invites comparison with
> the native pointers: are our addresses ints on 32-bit and longs on
> 64-bit, do we have something similar to compressed oops etc. I'd
> rather call it initialCapacity, like the HashMap constructor argument,

The only issue I had with an argument name like initialCapacity is then I
would assume the capacity (array) can grow, which it does not. Also the
word just capacity makes me think I can't have more entries than that,
which you can. Did you have any ideas on names or you really like
initialCapacity?

> to allow us more wiggle-room in the implementation. E.g. we don't need
> the entry in the table to be just a "next" pointer, it could be a
> proper entry with a pointer to the key and maybe even a hash code.

The problem with it being a proper entry is then the size is unknown, where
as I know the size of all pointers. I can't really allocate a big block for
the pointers then, and I wouldn't want to keep track of all of the pointers
in Java since those would be on heap.