[infinispan-dev] Feedback for PR 5233 needed

Galder Zamarreño galder at redhat.com
Mon Jul 3 10:27:02 EDT 2017

I already explained in another email thread, but let me make it explicit here:

The way compatibility mode works has a big influence on how useful redeploying marshallers is.

If compatibility is lazy, redeployment of marshaller could be useful since all the conversions happen lazily. So, conversions would only happen when data is requested. So, if data comes from Hot Rod in byte[], only when reading it might be converted into a POJO. If data comes as POJO, say from embedded, you'd keep it as is, and only when read from Hot Rod you'd convert to binary.

If compatibility is eager, the conversion happens on write, and that can be have negative impact if marshaller is redeployed. If data has been unmarshalled with marshaller A, and then you deploy marshaller B, it might result in converting the unmarshalled POJO into a binary format that the client can't understand.

So, IMO, if compat mode is lazy, redeployment could work... but I think redeployments add a layer of complexity that users might not really need it. I'd rather not have redeployments and instead of focus on rolling upgrade or freezing capabilities like Tristan mention to be able to bring a server down and up wo/ issues for the user.

Infinispan, Red Hat