[infinispan-dev] Write-only commands

Radim Vansa rvansa at redhat.com
Thu Jun 29 07:19:25 EDT 2017

On 06/29/2017 11:16 AM, Dan Berindei wrote:
> [...]
>> be 'safe'. So omitting the primary -> origin replication is basically
>> all it can do when listeners are in place. You're right that I have
>> missed the second part in SRL talking about put()s; I took it as a flag
>> prohibiting any remote lookup (as the RPC operation in its whole) any
>> time the remote value is needed. Yes, the second part seems equal to my
>> understanding of IRV.
>>
>>> And I agree that the current status is far from ideal, but there is
>>> one more valid alternative: we can decide that the previous value is
>>> only reliable in clustered listeners, and local listeners don't always
>>> have it. Document that, make sure continuous query uses clustered
>>> listeners, and we're done :)
>> Unreliable return values are worse than none; I would rather remove them
>> if we can't guarantee that these are right. Though, clustered listeners
>> are based on regular listeners, so you'd need some means to make them
>> reliable.
> We could change the clustered listeners so that they're not based on
> the regular listeners... I've been pestering Will about this ever
> since the clustered listeners landed!
>
> But I should have been clearer: I didn't mean that the listeners on
> the backups should receive the previous value whenever we feel like
> it, I meant we should document and enforce that the previous value is
> only included in the event for listeners on the primary owner.
>>>>
>>> To me the purpose the same, there is no difference between returning
>>> the previous value to the application or providing the previous value
>>> via EntryView.
>> There is a difference between what's provided locally and what's send
>> over the network.
>>
>>> Applying this logic to the JCache API, it would mean
>>> put() should never read the previous value, because some users could
>>> assume that only getAndPut() reads it.
>> OK, this is a valid point.
>>
>>> In the old times we didn't have IGNORE_RETURN_VALUES, only
>>> SKIP_REMOTE_LOOKUP+SKIP_CACHE_LOAD, and they would sometimes be
>>> ignored (e.g. if the write was conditional). I think that's what
>>> Galder had in mind when he wrote the PersistenceMode api note, not the
>>> current behaviour of SKIP_CACHE_LOAD. I'll let Galder clarify this
>>> himself, but I'll be very disappointed if he says he designed the
>>> write-only operations so that they'll never work with query.

>>> I disagree with the premise: there's no good reason for the user to
>>> assume that write-only commands are *guaranteed* to never load the
>>> previous value from a store. We just need to add a clarification to
>>> the write-only operations' javadoc, no need to break anything.
>> OK then, though it diminishes the value of write-only commands a lot.

>>> Cutting them off doesn't necessarily work, either :)
>> Yep, some people tend to fix w/ hacks instead of designing :)

>>> I hope pseudo-code is fine...
>>>
>>> 1. cache.put(k, v1) starts, doesn't load the previous value v0 in the context
>>> 2. cache.addListener(l) runs, doesn't block
>>> 3. cache.entrySet().forEach() runs, finds k->v0
>>> 4. cache.put(k, v1) commits k->v1, should notify the listener but
>>> doesn't have the previous value
>>> 5. cache.put(k, v0) returns, but the code that installed the listener
>>> thinks the value of k is still v0
>> Oh OK, I should have drawn that myself when considering the scenario.
>> You're right, here we'll have to retry.
>>
>> All in all, I think this discussion is done. We'll tell users to stick
>> their flags where the sun doesn't shine and remove any inconvenient
>> ones. Should we issue a warning any time we're removing the flag?
>>
> If you mean that we should remove the flags from the public API, I
> agree. If you mean we should just ignore them, then no, because most
> of the flags were added for internal components that really need their
> semantics.

We can't remove them from public API before Infinspan 10, and I think
that it will be a quite an unpopular step even after that. But until 10,
I think that the common agreement was to not break query, that is ignore
the flags. And make write-only reading.

R.