[infinispan-dev] to be a command, or not to be a command, that is the question

Galder Zamarreño galder at redhat.com
Mon May 8 09:58:57 EDT 2017

Hey Katia,

Sorry for delay replying back! I'm surprised there has not been more feedback. My position on this is well known around the team, so let me summarise it:

My feeling has always been that we have too many commands and we should reduce number of commands. Part of the functional map experiment was to show with a subset of commands, all sorts of front end operations could be exposed. So, I'm on Radim's side on this. By passing functions/lambdas, we get a lot of flexibility with very little cost. IOW, we can add more operations by just passing in different lambdas to existing commands.

However, it is true that having different front API methods that only differ in the lambda makes it initially hard to potentially do different things for each, but couldn't that be solved with some kind of enum?

Although enums are useful, they're a bit limited, e.g. don't take params, so  since you've done Scala before, maybe this could be solved with some Scala-like sealed trait for each front end operation type? I used something like a sealed trait for implementing a more flexible flag system for functional map API called org.infinispan.commons.api.functional.Param

The problem I have with adding more commands is the explosion that it provokes in terms of code, with all the required visit* method impls all over the place...etc.

I personally think that the lack of a more flexible command architecture is what has stopped us from adding front-end operations more quickly (e.g. counters, multi-maps...etc). IMO, working with generic commands that take lambdas is a way to strike a balance between adding front-end operations quickly and not resulting in a huge explosion of commands.

Infinispan, Red Hat