[infinispan-dev] HotRod client TCK

Martin Gencur mgencur at redhat.com
Wed May 10 06:37:26 EDT 2017

Hi,
thanks for looking at the list of tests and thanks for suggestions.
We'll incorporate them in the final list of tests.

What Radim suggest has some advantages and some drawbacks, but I see
this as an addition to the client TCK.
This approach can verify that the client sends some predefined commands
with predefined values but does that really verify that the user will
get the expected results? I'm not so sure. There can be some client-side
logic that does other modifications. Here I see room for a lot of missed
bugs.

I'd say we need real client-side tests which verify the client behavior
from the user perspective. Let me also add that I see the Java client
test suite as an etalon (reference standard). The server side behavior
has been tested through the Java test suite and other clients don't need
to test that again, IMO. The goal is to test the client-side. Having a
pre-defined configuration for server that would be used in all client
implementation tests should provide some common ground for the tests.

As to the real TCK suggested by Gustavo, I remember the discussion and
we discussed that at the clustering meeting last year.
Since the Java HotRod client test suite has about 1500 tests (maybe more
now?) we would need to rewrite all the tests in the new language. And
I'm not sure running those tests with various implementations would be
without problems. I'd love to see this working but I'm afraid that we
don't have time and resources to do this any time soon.

Martin