[infinispan-dev] IRC chat: HB + I9

Radim Vansa rvansa at redhat.com
Wed May 17 03:28:02 EDT 2017

On 05/16/2017 05:06 PM, Paul Ferraro wrote:
> Thanks Galder.  I read through the infinispan-dev thread on the
> subject, but I'm not sure what was concluded regarding the eventual
> home for this code.
> Once the testsuite passes, is the plan to commit to hibernate master?
> If so, I will likely fork these changes into a WF module (and adapt it
> for Hibernate 5.1.x) so that WF12 can move to JGroups4+Infinispan9
> until Hibernate6 is integrated.
>
> Radim - one thing you mentioned on that infinispan-dev thread puzzled
> me: you said that invalidation mode offers no benefits over
> replication.  How is that possible?  Can you elaborate?

I have worded that a bit incorrectly - it offers no benefits in terms of
number of RPCs you have to execute. Yes, keeping the replication
semantics, replication should hold the cached data on all nodes instead
of only single node.

The thing is that 2LC currently tweaks the actual mode so extensively
that the maintenance burden is too much on 2LC itself. I perceive the
difference between cache modes in the algorithm how operations are
routed through the cluster, not only how these entries are stored
(though that's just the other face of the coin). And while I've mostly
kept the 'storage' part, the routing has changed very much in order to
support transparent repeatable-read isolation which I expect from a DB.
(Note: while Infinispan claims to support RR, the meaning is different
than traditional DBs' RR - actually it's a hybrid between RR and
snapshot isolation [1])

[1]
https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/blob/master/documentation/src/main/asciidoc/glossary/glossary.asciidoc#repeatable-read

--