[infinispan-dev] The future of Infinispan Docker image

Sebastian Laskawiec slaskawi at redhat.com
Tue Nov 7 10:14:07 EST 2017

Hey!

Together with Ryan we are thinking about the future of Infinispan Docker
image [1].

Currently we use a single Dockerfile and a bootstrap script which is
responsible for setting up memory limits and creating/generating (if
necessary) credentials. Our build pipeline uses Docker HUB integration
hooks, so whenever we push a new commit (or a tag) our images are being
rebuilt. This is very simple to understand and very powerful setup.

However we are thinking about bringing product and project images closer
together and possibly reusing some bits (a common example might be Jolokia
- those bits could be easily reused without touching core server
distribution). This however requires converting our image to a framework
called Concreate [2]. Concreate divides setup scripts into modules which
are later on assembled into a single Dockerfile and built. Modules can also
be pulled from other public git repository and I consider this as the most
powerful option. It is also worth to mention, that Concreate is based on
YAML file - here's an example of JDG image [3].

As you can see, this can be quite a change so I would like to reach out for
some opinions. The biggest issue I can see is that we will lose our Docker
HUB build pipeline and we will need to build and push images on our CI
(which already does this locally for Online Services).

WDYT?

Thanks,
Sebastian

[1] https://github.com/jboss-dockerfiles/infinispan/tree/master/server