[infinispan-dev] Why do we need separate Infinispan OpenShift template repo?

Sebastian Laskawiec slaskawi at redhat.com
Tue Sep 19 05:30:36 EDT 2017

Hey Galder,

That sounds like an interesting idea but let me give some more context and
propose other options...

So during the first iteration I wanted to create templates inside OpenShift
Template Library [1]. However it turned out that this repo works in a very
specific way - it pulls templates from other repositories and puts them in
one, single place. According to my knowledge there are plans to use it
OpenShift Online (I can tell you more offline).

This is why I came up with a separate repository only for templates and
image streams. When adding more and more features to the templates, my goal
was to externalize configuration into a ConfigMap. This makes it very
convenient for editing in OpenShift UI. The main problem is how to put it
there? The easiest way was to hardcode it inside a template (and I decided
to go that way). But a much more robust approach would be to spin up a
small container (maybe an Init Container??) that would pull proper version
of Infinispan and use Kubernetes REST API to create that ConfigMap on the
fly.

I'm not sure if putting templates into Infinispan repository would solve
our problems. Although granted, we would have an easy access to
configuration but still providing custom Docker image [2] (possibly with
custom configuration) is something I expect to happen frequently. Also I'm
not a big fan of putting many bits in a single repository.

So having said that, I believe the proper way is to implement a small
container (maybe an Init Container or just a script inside the same Docker
image) responsible for unpacking desired Infinispan package and creating
ConfigMap directly in Kubernetes.

WDYT?

Thanks,
Sebastian