[jboss-as7-dev] Deployment Chain/Service interaction

Jason T. Greene jason.greene at redhat.com
Fri Dec 3 12:35:47 EST 2010

On 12/2/10 9:28 PM, David M. Lloyd wrote:
> Comments inline.
>
> On 12/02/2010 08:57 PM, Scott Stark wrote:
>> I think the introduction of a proper service per deployment phase is a
>> good idea.
>>
>> Can the DUP phase notion be more typed than currently in the jboss-as
>> trunk so that the DUP phase is self describing?
>
> Yeah definitely.  The service value should definitely be relevant to the
> implemented phase.  We'll have to see how that actually plays out when
> it comes to implementation but it would be nice if the value of the
> "modularize" phase would be the actual Module or set of Modules produced
> by that phase, for example.
>
>> I had the same question as Brian regarding module annotations resulting
>> in additional dependencies. I'm not following the answer, so to clarify
>> how a deployment would happen, consider:
>>
>> ejb1.jar: exports Bean1 interface, imports Bean2 interface
>> @Stateless public class Bean1Impl implements Bean1 {
>> + @EJB Bean2 bean2;
>>
>> ejb2.jar : exports Bean2 interface, imports Bean2 interface
>> @Stateless public class Bean2Impl implements Bean2 {
>> + @EJB Bean1 bean1;
>>
>> First of all, how are implicit module dependencies like these identified?
>> j.d.ejb1.jar.modularize ->   depends on exporter of Bean2
>> j.d.ejb2.jar.modularize ->   depends on exporter of Bean1
>
> As far as I can see, there is no way to identify the implicit
> dependency, because you can't identify the dependency without inspecting
> the class, you can't inspect the class without it being loaded and you
> can't load the class without its dependencies being present already.
> Yeah we could pre-load and analyze the class using Javassist or
> something but that adds a lot of startup overhead just so the user
> doesn't have to add one manifest entry.

Guys sorry to interrupt this trend of thought, but I believe we can
identify all possible cross-module EE injection and convert them to deps
without loading the classes. It would mean adding annotation values to
our index, which I had been avoiding due to space/time efficiency, but I
believe the impact is actual less than I have feared.

I will prototype this quickly and let you know.

--
Jason T. Greene