[jboss-as7-dev] Automatically generate AS7 module.xml files from maven poms?

David Bosschaert david at redhat.com
Fri Dec 17 06:47:51 EST 2010

Hi all,

Today I was looking at a module.xml somewhere down

http://github.com/jbossas/jboss-as/blob/master/build/src/main/resources/modules
and found out that a problem I was facing was caused by a dependency in
there being out of sync with the dependencies of the pom that defines
the original module.

So I was thinking, since there is a 1-1 mapping between the poms and
modules would it make sense to automatically generate the module.xml
files from the poms rather then having them in git. I realize that there
is extra information in some cases that needs to go into the module.xml
file but that information could be added to the pom in some form [1].
Otherwise this might become a bit of a maintenance nightmare IMHO...

Or is this already happening somewhere in a way that I'm not aware of?

Cheers,

David

[1] The maven-bundle-plugin does something similar for OSGi bundles:
http://felix.apache.org/site/apache-felix-maven-bundle-plugin-bnd.html