[jboss-as7-dev] Missing 404 for non-existent web app context?

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Mon Apr 18 06:59:42 EDT 2011

> On Mon, 2011-04-18 at 16:02 +0530, Jaikiran Pai wrote:
>> IMO, we really need a way to convey (on the browser) to the end user
>> that something went wrong (not just 404, but for any other similar codes
>> too). A blank page doesn't really help end users.
>
> Actually, it's the browser which does not "convey" to the end user that
> something went wrong. But I suppose it's easier to force me to add some
> hack ;)

Problem is that each browser handles this differently.

>>> Why on the web container port rather on
>>> the management one ?
>> I think we need it for both the ports not just web component.
>
> Ah, the "feel good it's working" factor it is, then. Don't you think
> people are going to whine if they read "404" (and nothing else) in their
> browser by that logic, rather than the usual fancy welcome page that
> does some handholding ?

Why does one exclude the other ?

If I goto http://localhost:8080 on a newly configured server I would expect some kind
of default content (handholding/branding/verifythingswork etc.) page.

If I goto http://localhost:8080/pagethatdoesnotexist I would expect a 404 page.

/max
http://about.me/maxandersen