[jboss-as7-dev] Additional info on metrical attributes

Heiko W.Rupp hrupp at redhat.com
Tue Apr 19 14:47:25 EDT 2011

Brian,

Am 19.04.2011 um 17:41 schrieb Brian Stansberry:

> Subsystem devs: see "Arbitrary Descriptors" section on [1] to see how
> the requested info can be added to resource descriptions. Let's use this
> list and that wiki come up with common units; i.e. describe what you
> intend to do on this list and once there is consensus add it to the wiki.

I see that in [1] you are already referring to the RHQ units :)

> Heiko, please provide the terms you want for the steadily
> climbing/falling vs "arbitrary" metric thing.

For monotonically increasing it is 'trendsup', for monotonically falling
it is 'trendsdown' and 'dynamic' otherwise - see [2].

RHQ also has the notion of "important metric" - that is one that the user
should see by default on the graphs. ErrorCount could be such a metric.
It would be nice if such a flag could be included too, as the subsystem-dev
is the one, who knows the semantics best. At most a handful of metrics
should be marked as important by default.

   Heiko

[2] http://git.fedorahosted.org/git?p=rhq/rhq.git;a=blob_plain;f=modules/core/domain/src/main/java/org/rhq/core/domain/measurement/NumericType.java;hb=HEAD